[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin, 2/16/2011

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 10:59:25 PST 2011

I went out in the basin for a little while after breakfast.  As I was skiing up
the bike path towards Castle, I glanced up and Grand was erupting (841 ns).  I
tried to get a bit closer, but due to the extreme iciness of the path, at
Crested Pool, I decided that was a good enough view point, even with steam from
Sawmill and Crested occasionally obscuring the view.  It may have been a two
burst; around 850 it looked like it may have died down.  It was done by 853.

Crested Pool was having fairly large boils, with the largest about four feet.

Grotto was ie (by at least 910) as I was skiing towards Riverside.  On the
geyser predictions recording, it said that Riverside would possibly erupt around
915 (+/- 30m), projecting from the previous day's times.  Riverside erupted at
939, so that was right on.

When I paused to pick up a lens cap along the bike trail, I noticed that Bijou
wasn't erupting!  It was off for at least 3 minutes, and when it came back on,
it was fairly weak.

Plume erupted at 1026.

Wildlife seen: many bison, several ravens, and a dipper in the river near
Riverside.

Karen Low