[Geysers] First (?) Bulger's Hole photo

Gordon Bower taigabridge at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 9 19:24:48 PDT 2011

Sorry to take so long digging this out. Taken 2027 the evening of 06 May, when we first saw the hole. There is a 3072x2304 version available (not perfectly focused, it WAS late in the evening and a bit too far for a flash) if one is needed.

In the background, Bulger minor in progress; the satellite vent that has always been there; off to the right, a tuft of grass that was called a splash zone in Pat Snyder's photo.

In the foreground, the hole - note loose rubble in bottom, and sharp gravel rim around the edge. To the immediate right of the hole is a black spot, which is NOT a second hole, but rather, a shadow from a loose rock (this is clearer in the larger version of the pic.)

I was surprised how sharp the gravel rim remained through May (but we didnt have pelting hailstorms or anything.)

In years past, I always wondered where the water from the satellite vent went - sometimes it spilled out enough water about 4 minutes into a Bulger major that a puddle formed near where the collapse happened, but the puddle always drained away slowly into the soil, never 'filled up'. In mid- and late-May, if you waited around a few minutes after the end of a big Bulger major, that water would emerge out from under the gravel, dribble over the hard-rock rim on the back side of the hole, and drip down into the hole.

GRB