[Geysers] Norris Geyser Basin, 4/16/11

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 17:02:48 PDT 2011

There is still very deep snow at Norris Geyser Basin; in many places the snow is well above the boardwalk side railings, but the snow is getting soft, and we were post-holing frequently.  Steamboat's runoff channel had less water in it than I am used to seeing.  Echinus was warmer, clear blue, with boiling in the pool.

I was surprised to see Porkchop Geyser empty.  We could see the thin geyserite ledge overhanging the empty crater.  Even the lower pool was nearly dry, and the runoff channel didn't look like it had any flow for quite some time.

Sagebrush Lizard Hot Springs were splashing, but behind it towards Porkchop the long, uneven pool was empty.  Pearl Geyser was splashing, but not very high.

Vixen Geyser was active, with an interval of about 15 minutes, and durations of a minute and a half to two minutes.

If any of my pictures turn out, I'll post them on facebook.

Karen Low