[Geysers] The Christchurch earthquake

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 8 18:30:29 PDT 2010

Some on this list might like to visit the following site which
presents a time-lapse representation of the Christchurch earthquake
and most particularly the aftershock sequence.  It is being
automatically maintained right up to the minute. The residents of
Christchurch are getting heartily tired of being jolted, and at night
woken, by the continuing shocks and a few people have chosen to leave
the city for a while.  Schools have been reopened.  The fresh water
distribution service is now again functional after at first being
suspected of having been contaminated with sewage and until now
residents have been routinely boiling their tap water.

The total cost of the event has now been re-estimated to be around
$NZ4 billion.

There has been a lot of press coverage at the contrast between what
happened in Christchurch and what happened in Haiti.  The magnitudes
of the two events were essentially the same.

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

I shall ask my Christchurch friend who took the photos of the sand
volcanoes if he is happy for me to send them to the list.  I am sure
you would find them of interest.

Ron Keam
--

Ron Keam