[Geysers] Q regarding mud pots at Imperial Geyser

Bill Johnson canbelto at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 21:53:53 PDT 2010

Thanks for the answers, everybody!  There is SO much to learn from people on
this list ...

What we observed was more "mud pot" than "mud thumper"; there was mud, and
no obvious acoustic component -- although New Imperial was so active that it
was hard to hear much else.  Still, it was compatible with what everyone has
described.  Incidentally, the biggest burst we saw from New Imperial itself
was very impressive indeed -- if most were hitting the nominal 40 feet or so
mentioned in GOY4 (and consistent with some crude triangulation we did on
site), this one may well have (very briefly) reached 75 feet or even
greater.  I sure wish we'd had a portable theodolite along!

-- Bill.