[Geysers] Q regarding mud pots at Imperial Geyser

Bill Johnson mwjohnson at lanl.gov
Tue Oct 19 12:14:21 PDT 2010

I feel the need to apologize twice for this inquiry.  First, I should have made it six weeks ago, when we were at the park and could act on any followup.  Second, I may be the only person on the mailing list who doesn't already know the answer!  But anyway:

When my wife and I hiked out to Imperial Geyser (OK, *New* Imperial Geyser) last month, we noticed what looked like the beginnings of a mud pot very near the trail on the "upstream" side of the old Imperial crater.  I've never seen anything about mud pots at or near Imperial in any of the sources I've consulted (certainly not an exhaustive list) and have been wondering whether this is a new feature.  Anybody got anything on it?  I can post a not-very-impressive photograph if there's interest.

-- Bill J.