[Geysers] Presentation on Yellowstone

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Wed May 26 17:27:45 PDT 2010

Hi Ryan - -

Several of us were studying Steamboat Hot Springs near Reno in the mid-80s
when it was still an active and interesting geyser field.

Then came geothermal drilling.  Let's just say that within a day of the
start of pumping out the hot water the geyser activity ceased, the water
levels dropped, as did the temperatures.  To the best of my knowledge there
hasn't been a single eruption of a geyser there since.

The BLM and Caithness (the company there at the time) attributed this
insta-decline to a drought.  Right.  I showed them how their own data
refuted this claim, but the response was a large yawn. Since then a larger
power plant was built immediately adjacent to the terrace where the geysers
were, and the chances for future activity are basically nil.

Paul Strasser

Hello everyone, I am a 15 y/o student from PA, soon to be 16, and I annually
participate in the PA Computer Fair.  The last couple of years I did it on
the rockets I design, build, and fly.  Last year I got third in the state
competition and this year I got fourth (competition was May 25 so
today/yesterday)!
My project next year, I am starting it now, is on the park in general and
why and possibly bhow we should protect it.  I would like to present issues
such as wildlife protection, OF COURSE geothermal feature protection, water
resources (lakes rivers etc), and plant life, etc.
Can anyone possibly give me ideas for other resources to protect, some
current issues surrounding the protection of the parks features, maybe some
statistics on what happens to a geyser basin when drilling occurs?
Also I will be providing a brief history on the park itself, any major
events (besides Hebgen Quake, establishment, militia occupations etc)?
The presentations is not a slideshow, more like a webpage.  With a home page
and links to subtopics and topics within the subtopics etc.  Unlike a
webpage it will either be flash or PowerPoint.
I will be providing credit to all information given and all pictures and/or
videos I use in the project and will even try to post a link to download the
project once finished.
Thank you everyone for all of your help and considerations and sorry for the
looonnnng message!
Ryan Maurer