[Geysers] Mystery Steam Cloud

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Mon Jul 12 15:57:59 PDT 2010

I strongly suspect that the "Mystery Steam Clouds Below Anemone" are an
optical illusion.  They are actually steam from Old Faithful.  The steam
from Old Faithful puffs and swirls around a lot.  Because the still
pictures don't show how the steam is moving, it can appear that the
steam is not coming from Old Faithful when it actually is.  Take a look
at the linked video.  I used still and streaming captures from July 13,
2009 but I could have used captures from almost any Summer day.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpxDLulpf44>

David Schwarz also makes a very good point.  There are a number of
Geyser Gazers in the park at this time, many of them are spending time
on Geyser Hill.  It is highly likely someone would have seen unusual
activity if it was occurring.

Dave