[Geysers] A couple of things from White Creek, 7/9/2010

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 10 19:24:30 PDT 2010

For the record, Tuft was in full eruption (to a stunning 8-10 inches) when I was at White Creek on 7/2/10.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 21:36:27 -0500
From: david.schwarz at gmail.com
To: geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu
Subject: [Geysers] A couple of things from White Creek, 7/9/2010

   I was just out at White Creek.  First, "Filial" remains active on frequent intervals.  The creek was too high to cross comfortably, but we watched it from near Tuft.

   Tuft appears to be recently dormant, or at least having extremely long intervals.  It's periodically having weak overflow--just enough to wet its runoff channel.  The cyanobacteria mats at the end of the channel are dying out and dying, and the formation of Tuft itself is very dry except for what appears to be steam condensation immediately around its pool.  Eclipse does not appear to be doing anything, but the large pool connected to both of them is having periodic overflows which are forming a new channel and slightly flooding the surrounding area.

   Probably not related, a narrow but cavernous hole below Tuft, next to the dying cyanobacteria beds had a loud, thrashing, but largely subsurface eruption while we were watching Tuft not do anything.

David Schwarz