[Geysers] Fan & Mortar details, 6/26/10

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 9 01:51:00 PDT 2010

This report will cover the Fan & Mortar eruption on June 26, 2010.  Sorry for the delay.

Fan and Mortar were under observation starting the morning of the 26th.  The first observed event cycle of the day was in the evening.  I had taken a quick break to run to Beehive, and when I returned, Main Vent was splashing.  Events transpired as follows:

2051 Main Vent splashing in progress
2053 River on, continued Main Vent splashing
2102 River off (River Pause)
2111 River on, continued Main Vent splashing
2125 River off (double River pause), River was very weak for about 5 minutes before finally shutting off
2129 River on
2135 Gold on
2137 Angle on
2142 water levels looked very good
2147 lock
2152 Angle in steam
2153 vents drop briefly
2154 vents back on strong
2155 Fan & Mortar

The start was a little different; Main Vent splashed heavily, then lifted up and was erupting by itself to about 15 feet for a few seconds before the rest of the vents simultaneously rose up.  The lighting was actually surprisingly good; the twilight was enough to backlight the eruption and there was almost no wind, allowing for great viewing of a very strong eruption.  Main Vent was landing beyond the bumper logs at Backwater Spring and Lower Mortar was hitting the embankment in front of the benches.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com