[Geysers] Geyser report, June 25-July 5

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 9 01:35:13 PDT 2010

This report will cover a few items from June 25-July 5, 2010.

A lot of what I saw has already been reported on by David Schwarz, Ben Hoppe, and Steve Eide, but I will try add a few things.

David Schwarz reported that Exclamation Point Spring was in overflow circa June 27.  A couple of days later it was back down 1-2 inches below overflow.

One note about Grand--Jim Scheirer had noted that until late June, he had not seen Grand start while an eruption of West Triplet was in progress.  I saw Grand erupt during West Triplet on June 27, and when I talked to Jim, he said he had observed that recently also.

Ben Hoppe recently reported on different behavior at Grotto, with South
Grotto Fountain erupting weakly towards the end of a normal Grotto
eruption.  I will just add that I saw the same thing on July 4.  Grotto
lasted 1h37m and there were a few good bursts from Rocket, but South
Grotto Fountain began splashing, and Grotto came to an end maybe 10
minutes later.

In the River Group, Kitt Barger and I observed intervals of 20 and 19 minutes for Dark Pool.  We saw Brain once but did not get an interval.  The mud pots were in fine form.

I don't mean to steal Steve Eide's thunder, but I was able to get pictures of "Filial Geyser," the new feature next to Five Sisters at White Creek.  I posted a couple of pictures to Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5043159&l=9faaad400b&id=508956996

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5043164&l=b423f434d3&id=508956996

In the Kaleidoscope Group, I saw Honeycomb several times.  Kaleidoscope was active on June 28.  I didn't write down times, but I also saw a fairly large feature "behind" Kaleidoscope.  I don't have a good guess as to what feature it was, except that it was in the area of Three Vent or Blowout.  Eruptions were fairly frequent and reached about 30 feet.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com