[Geysers] Geyser Report July 4-5

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 20:17:29 PDT 2010

I am sure Tara Cross will send in a report, and David Schwarz will as well,
more than likely, but I thought I'd send in the collections of times I have
gotten from the past couple days to supplement their reports as well as the
reports from the webcam. I will be in the Park with my parents through the
end of the week, so hopefully the weather stays somewhat warm. Since we
arrived on Saturday (July 3) evening, the temperatures during the day have
been upper 50s and low 60s, but it's been somewhat windy, especially in the
afternoon.

*July 4*
*Aurum* 1025, 1330, 1954
*Artemisia* 0758ie
*Beehive* 1355 (Indicator 1334)
*Depression* 0815, 1104, 1356, 1625, 1922
*Lion* 0553ie, 0706, 0803, 0853, 0953, 1055, 1209, 1321
*Daisy* 0542, 0806, 1025, 1238, 1455ie, 1711, 1933ie
*Grand* 0144E, 1148 (T2Q), 2043 (1 burst)
*Great Fountain* 0343E, 1432 (p=0)
I arrived for the 2nd series of this eruption. Udo Freund said that the
first series had a superburst with a height approximated at 160-170'. The
second series was weak, the third series was not too bad, but I was
impressed with the fourth series. There were blue bubbles in both the third
and fourth series.
*Fountain* 1403 (d=29m)
*Oblong* 0725ie, 1126 (duration > 10mins), 1624, 2021ie
*Plume* intervals were around an hour all day +/- 10 minutes.
*Castle* had a major at 1230.
*Penta* 1948ie
*Grotto* 0857 (ended at 1005), 1401, 2038
*Grotto Fountain* 0852, 1358, 2034
*Riverside* 1412, 2040
*Rift* 1732ns.
*Till* was seen in eruption at 1439 and in steam phase at 1538.
*West Triplet *0843ie, 1113, 1732ie

Walking past *Beauty and Chromatic*, the energy was in Chromatic.
*Fan and Mortar* also had event cycles in the early afternoon (River Pause
with Main Vent splashing and Bottom Vent erupting) and again with a weak
event cycle in the evening.

*July 5*
*Aurum* 0719, 1105
*Artemisia* 1445
*Beehive *erupted overnight, but we're not quite sure when. I arrived around
0150 to find the boardwalk wet and Beehive completely dead. It then erupted
at 1150 (Indicator 1130).
*Daisy *0734, 1006, 1227ie, 1435ie, 1651, 1921
*Grand *0558 (T1C), 1522 (T1C)
*Great Fountain *1541
*Grotto *was in eruption in the morning and accompanied by Spa, no eruption
again until 1759. It ended at 1943.
*Grotto Fountain *1756
*Castle *had a minor overnight and then a major at 1145.
*Fountain *0715ie (end at 0748)
*Oblong *0909, 1401, 1809
*Penta *1010ie
*Riverside *0937, 1606
*Lion *1210 (initial), 1324, 1431, 1548, 1652, 1749, 1901 (minor), 1911,
2008 (minor)
*West Triplet *1238
*Rift* 1338ie
*Plume* intervals were anywhere from 50-60 minutes.
*Depression *0700ie, 0926, 1224, 1819
*Sawmill* 0727ie, ~2000ie
*Spa* 0636ie
*Uncertain* 1744ie

*Fan and Mortar* had three event cycles today. The morning one looked the
least promising. We had one again in the early afternoon. There was a Gold
Pause at 1258 (duration=8 minutes), and a River Pause at 1314 (duration=5
minutes). Water levels looked promising for the first six to seven minutes
following Angle turning on, but died after that. There was just intermittent
splashing in Bottom Vent accompanied by one lone Main Vent splash just
before the Gold Pause. Just 2 hours later, there was another event cycle
with a River Pause at 1530 (duration=38 minutes), lots of Main Vent
splashing, Bottom Vent erupting, and decent water levels following Angle for
about 5-8 minutes.

*General Notes*
One thing I have noticed, and I'm not sure if it's been noticed before or
anything, but I have observed the entirety of 3 Grotto eruptions so far this
trip. Each duration was between 1 and 2 hours. I have been trying to catch a
Rocket major. The last 2 eruptions (I can't recall on the first of the 3
that I was there for), Rocket has made some valiant attempts to erupt
throughout the duration of Grotto, particularly at the end. However, instead
of a Rocket major, South Grotto Fountain erupts. It's not a full-out
eruption, more like a few splashes to 6-8 feet, and Grotto turns off not too
long after. I'll keep watching Grotto eruptions when I can in hopes of a
Rocket, but I'll keep watching out for more of this activity too.

I'm really enjoying having shorter intervals on Depression and Oblong
(albeit if the Oblong eruptions last a little longer but are a little
weaker). It seems like there is always a geyser you can be at without having
to wait long if you decide your patience is running short on other geysers.
I will hopefully catch the overnight eruption of Beehive tonight (July 5).

Hopefully Fan and Mortar will not erupt overnight tonight, and in the
daylight tomorrow.

-Ben Hoppe
--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in
me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who