[Geysers] Hypothesis on the formation of the Mary Bayexplosioncrater complex (Billings Gazette)

Ruth & Leslie Quinn ruthleslie.ynp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 18:59:56 PST 2010

Lucille (et al),
    Mary Bay was for Mary Force, a girlfriend of Hanry Wood Elliot, one of the members of the Hayden Survey. While he was at it, he named Frank Island in Yellowstone Lake for his brother Frank.
    Mary Mountain's christening was reported by the Reverand E. J. Stanley in his book Rambles in Wonderland, 1878:
"We passed along the bank of a lovely little lakelet, sleeping in seclusion in the shade of towering evergreens, by which it is sheltered from the roaring tempests. It is near the divide, and on its pebbly shore some members of our party unfurled the Stars and Stripes, and christened it Mary's Lake, in honor of Miss Clark, a young lady belonging to our party."

    Of course, I got all this information from the source, Dr. Whittlesey's Wonderland Nomenclature, available from you local neighborhood GOSA store! Just one of the rabble,

Leslie Quinn