[Geysers] North Goggle Description

Michael Goldberg goldbeml at ucmail.uc.edu
Thu Jan 28 06:35:45 PST 2010

David,

No, you haven't missed anything that I'm aware of.

This might be a good opportunity to remember some details of North
Goggle's other recent active periods.  What Graham saw falls nicely in
line with I recall from the 1990s.

[Facts and figures in the description below may be incorrect.
Corrections are welcomed.]

Back then the intermittent overflow periods came regularly every 11
minutes.  The first precursor to eruptions was an "extended" overflow that
lasted well beyond the usual 2 minutes.  For as long as the water level
stayed up North Goggle (and Goggles Spring) would get progressively
hotter.  It took a half-hour or more to reach the point where there was
any kind of boiling at the surface.  Usually the water drained too soon,
and the moment of opporutnity was lost.

After a lengthy extended overflow, say an hour or more, the water would
drain down and boil/splash furiously at depth.  The recovery time varied
in correspondence with the duration of overflow.  In any case, boiling
died down as water reappeared and rose slowly in the vent.

Then upon reaching overflow there would be a flood of large (i.e.
filling the entire vent) bubbles. This would either trigger a minor
eruption, or not.  If not, the next couple of overflow periods would
start in the same way and could also bring about an eruption.

Minor Eruptions had heavy water to 6-10 feet and lasted maybe 20 seconds.

I'm a little fuzzier on what happened after the eruption.
In many ways it was like the recovery following an extended overflow.
One difference: The first subsequent high-water period (20 minutes
post-erutpion?) would stay well below ground.  The ones after that would
be as described above and could again trigger an eruption.

When North Goggle had series of minors, the most common interval between
eruptions was 40-60 minutes, so it would go again on its second or third
chance.  The number of eruptions in a series roughly paralleled Grand's
burst count at the time -- mostly 1 to 4, but capabale of throwing in a 9
just to keep everybody off balance.

I never witnessed a major eruption.  My understanding is that tthe
extended overflow continues for long enough that the system heats up to
the point where it can launch straight into the eruption.

Timing: The events described often started around the end of a Lion
series, with the eruptions occurring during Lion's quiet period.

The 1985 activity was apparently quite different.  Most eruptions were
majors, and most of them occurred within a Lion series [see Allan
Friedman's article in Transactions I].  I don't know anything about the
precursor activity that year.

Michael Goldberg
Michael.Goldberg at uc.edu