[Geysers] Quick Geyser Report for last week

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 17:56:16 PST 2010

Not much time to report on geyser activity as I have returned from a great week in the basin and have immediately gone on travel for work.  Here are the key items that might be of use to observers.

Depression was going very frequently on intervals of 2h15m - 2h50m.  It is probably bi-modal since it comes up and tries to erupt early in the window (heavy overflow and big bubbles) and it either erupts or drops a few inches and then slowly refills and tries again 25-30 minutes later and it succeeded on all the second attempts.

The biggest surprise for me was Aurum erupting on intervals of 3h17m - 3h27m - yes only a 10min window for the 5 closed intervals I observed.  Quite remarcable given its usual eratic behavior.  The splashing steadily built up so it was fairly easy to figure out when to stay and watch it.  Whenever it started near-continuous splashing above the rim it was a good time to stay and wait a few minutes for an eruption.

Dome was active for 4 days (Tues-Fri).  Intervals increased from just over 20 minutes to over 40 minutes as the series progressed.

I saw one North Goggle minor on Friday (I think).  It was boiling at depth when I walked by and I waited and it erupted on the first rise.  This was about 3 hours after the last Lion eruption in a series.  I watched to see if it had any more eruptions but it boiled up once but failed to erupt and then stopped boiling.

All Grand eruptions observed during the week (I think it was 5) had 2 bursts.  Not a very big sample size but its nice to come away with a 2 burst average after the recent lean years.

More to come later but these are the most significant items I can remember off the top of my head now.  I will try and post some more info on Sunday..

Graham.