[Geysers] Requests for Information

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 10 08:21:37 PST 2010

Thank you to the four people who have responded to my requests for information.  I'm still looking for "Gloria Bland", and have a list of additional names I'll put together for future requests.

         In the meantime, I think a few of you out there probably knew Jamie Espy.  I found a little bit of information about Jamie on the internet.  In his 1975 report, Rick (Hutchinson) gave several acknowledgements, including the following:

           "The brunt of the load however was borne by the VIP’s who contributed literally thousands of hours of their time and also deserve more thanks than can be given.  The 3 dedicated observers are Old Faithful John Wegel, Daisy Marie Wolf, and the modest Secret Agent VIP of SM, Jamie Espy."

I had heard rumors that John Wegel studied Old Faithful before he studied Riverside and that John had gotten burned at Old Faithful on at least one occasion.  I knew that Marie Wolf studied Grand, the Myriad Group, and a number of features, but that Daisy/Splendid was her particular love.  (She spent a week with me in my cabin at Old Faithful during the summer of 1997 so she could be there for part of Splendid's active period.)  But can anyone interpret "Secret Agent VIP of SM" with respect to Jamie Espy, and provide additional information about Jamie.  Sam Martinez acknowledged Mary Caress, Marie Wolf, Jamie Espy, and Kevin Reeves, by name, in the acknowledgements to Sam's monthly reports for July, August, and September, 1976 monthly reports.  Perhaps the "SM" of "Secret Agent VIP of SM" referred to Sam Martinez??

I don't have specific plans for an article yet, but decided maybe we should start collecting stories of geyser gazers before those stories are lost.  So, if you have any stories to share, you can send them to me, and I'll start a regular column for The Sput of "Who Was That Gazer?".  So, for example, who was Kevin Reeves?  Did he have a favorite geyser?  Does anyone know where he is now?  Same for Mary Caress.  Who has stories about Marie that they would like to share?  Or stories about Sam?  Etc., etc., etc.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Lynn