[Geysers] Information Request--Stories about coyotes and geyser gazers

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 7 09:21:22 PST 2010

I am working on an article for The Sput about coyotes and geyser gazers.  Just after New Year's in January, 1990, Brian Dean, a TW employee (forerunner of Xantera) was "attacked" when skiing down the Mystic Falls trail to Biscuit Basin.  I have newpaper articles describing the attack.  I seem to remember that Rick Hutchinson was involved in searching/finding the coyote(s) that may have been involved in the attack.  Does anyone out there remember additional details about Rick's involvement in that incident?  (Before commiting my hazy memories to print, I'd like to have some other people's remembrances to see if they confirm my memories.)

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Also, I'm looking for anyone else's personal story about coyotes and geyser gazing to include in the article.  If you have any, please email them to me at lstephens2006 at hotmail.com and I'll include them in the article if I receive them before May 1.  (Although I anticipate December 2010 as publication date for the article, I plan to have that article sent to Tom and Genean before June 1 since the only articles I write for The Sput from June 1 through January 1 are the two "Selected Geyser Activity" articles for the August and October issues.)

Lynn Stephens