[Geysers] Miscellaneous geyser report Jan 16-23 2010

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Thu Feb 4 16:18:25 PST 2010

Having posted the highlights the other week, here are a few other items.

I guess I could have reported that Giantess was having frequent boils every
couple of minutes which seemed frequent to me but I have not been up there
watching it much over the last few years.

I could not find the vent for "Mouth" geyser when I looked for it so it
might have been filled in with debris.

Hanging out at Depression for a lot of the time I saw several eruptions from
the deep hole on the opposite side of the boardwalk between Depression and
Scissor Spring.  The hole is pretty obvious - the only big one close to the
boardwalk.  It was frequently bubbling/boiling at depth which I think has
been its normal behavior.  Now and then it would heat up and erupt about a
foot above the rim for a few seconds.  It repeated this activity every few
minutes.  I don't remember seeing it do this before.  Sometimes it just
bubbled/boiled for longer periods of time too.

All Plume eruptions I saw were 5 burst.

Close-to-cone indicator was active frequently in the lead-up to Beehive,
sometimes on and off for several hours..

Sponge was making a lot of noise when it erupted, sizzling loudly when its
water level came up.

Bulger was having frequent minors but I did not see a major.

Beauty was in overflow the whole week.

Black Sand Basin - there was quite a bit of splashing from the wet/muddy
area along the boardwalk to Emerald Pool.  I had not noticed this before but
then I don't walk that boardwalk much.  Everything else looked pretty
normal.

Cliff had an interval of 42min.

Jewel intervals were 10-11min.  Avoca was not having real "eruptions" but it
was having some strong boils in the long vent.  Salt and Pepper didn't look
any different to last fall, small continuous eruptions.

Last time I walked up and sat at Artemisia in the winter I got to see an
Atomizer major.  This time as I was walking up I heard a flood  of water and
caught Artemisia near start, a treat at any time but it made me smile all
day long this winter.  It was a little steamy though!

On the brief stop at Fountain I saw a couple of Jet intervals (8 and 10min)
and Clepsydra but nothing else of note.

At West Thumb, the springs on the upper level were all down except for
Surging Spring which was overflowing and bubbling (but not surging) and Twin
which was boiling vigorously from the left vent (like in September).
Fishing Cone side vent was active.  Lakeshore pressure boiling around the
edges.  Abyss did not erupt.

F&M - frustrating to walk down two mornings and find the marker washed.  I
only saw one event cycle where river turned on and then off after 3 minutes
but the next cycle lead to nothing of interest.  Occasionally Upper Mortar
had some strong in-cone splashing sounds late in the cycle.  At least they
are still active.

Victory did nothing.

After erupting on overnight Friday/Saturday 15/16 Jan I looked at Giant on
the afternoon of the 16th and it looked like nothing had happened - Bijou
was on, Giant was having left-right splashes, Mastiff was splashing.
Several times when I walked by Bijou was off, seeming to respond to Grotto
eruptions (not just marathons).  Unfortunately it did not erupt before I
left.

That's about it from me for this winter.  Go Giant & Giantess!

Graham Meech