[Geysers] Geysers Over 100 Feet

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Tue Dec 7 06:31:36 PST 2010

I think that Jeff's list is pretty good. Castle certainly is debatable, as
many references call it one hundred feet. Daisy is close, generally ninety.
Splendid, Giantess, Giant, and Steamboat are generally not easily viewable.

             JEFFREY CROSS
             <jeff.cross at utah.
             edu>                                                       To
             Sent by:                  Geyser Observation Reports
             <geysers-bounces@         <geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu>
             lists.wallawalla.                                          cc
             edu>
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Geysers] Geysers Over 100 Feet
             12/06/2010 08:39
             PM

             Please respond to
                  Geyser
                Observation
                  Reports
             <geysers at lists.wa
               llawalla.edu>

I was pondering recently over how *few* geysers there are that 1) erupt to
over 100 feet high, and 2) could be seen, on purpose, by an average tourist
with a day or two of vacation time.  The worldwide list is fairly short:

Old Faithful
Beehive
Grand
Castle (?)
Great Fountain
Pohutu (New Zealand)
Strokkur (Iceland)
Velikan (Russia)

I have constrained this list to geysers presently active.  Castle is
debatable--I think it typically peaks at 50 to 75 feet, and only rarely
reaches 100 feet.

Can anyone think of any geyser that was unjustly omitted?

Jeff Cross
Geysers mailing list
Geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu