[Geysers] 31 August 2010

jimscheir at aol.com jimscheir at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 13:32:08 PDT 2010

Today was cloudy and showery with temperatures ranging from below freezing to the low 40's. East and south entrances were closed for a while due to weather and snow could be seen on the ridges around Old Faithful in the morning. I left early.

Thanks to all who called times today. Geyser times until I left were:

Beehive Indicator (No Beehive)  0652 ns ( d = about 61 min),  1058 (d = 63 min)

Castle  0541 ie major in steam

Daisy  1014

Grand  1138 (T1C, d = 10 min 48 sec)

Great Fountain  0744 ie

Old Faithful  0543 ie,  0952

Plume  0708, 0808, 0909, 1012, 1110, 1205

Rift  1140

Riverside  1022

Sawmill  0555 ie (end by 0648), 1017 ie

Till  0804 ie

West Triplet  1054 d = 45

>From 30 August
Pink Cone  1515

Great Fountain  2059  P = 8

Scott Bryan and I made a careful study of the interval and duration of UNNG OFEVC-1. The data and initial analysis are shown below.

Start Time     End Time          Interval           Duration
09:15:02
                                       12 min 36 sec
09:27:38       09:28:47                                1 min 9 sec
                                       12 min  48 sec
09:40:26       09:41:38                                1 min 12 sec

Average interval = 12 min 42 sec.
Notice that the longer interval leads to a longer duration as might be expected. After further analysis of this data a 20-30 page paper will follow.

Jim S