EXTERNAL: [Geysers] New OFVEC webcam

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Wed Aug 25 07:37:10 PDT 2010

Real-time temperature telemetry sounds great, but I believe we need visual confirmation for such data to be considered reliable.  By itself steam rising behind trees is not reliable either.  That's why having a cam or three on a high viewpoint* is necessary.  Having both systems complementing each other would be ideal.  Then migrate confirmed data into an online database for all to see.  I think GOSA should look into finding grant (Buffett, Gates, etc.) money to accomplish these things.  With NPS permissions, of course.  I suggest someone write a formal proposal.

* Has the cell tower been considered?  It has many positive elements: power, communications, a high viewpoint, stability and it's already ugly!  A couple of cameras on it could make it more palatable to those who object to its' presence.  Another plus - geyser spray is too far away to crud up a lens.  Signal interference and maintenance access might be issues, though.  Optical zoom lenses can provide decent images from a very long distance.  Yes, they're expensive (Buffett, Gates again) but that's a one-time investment.

Thanks,
Udo Freund
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."
--Will Rogers