[Geysers] A few West Thumb Observations & a question

SnowMoon Photography janet at snowmoon.us
Fri Aug 20 09:32:52 PDT 2010

  On July 24, 2010, I headed over to West Thumb to spend some time over
at King Geyser - a couple of hours or so. In that time, it had heavier
boiling every 5 min or so and then shifted to about every 2 minutes or
so, then had a louder and stronger boil, and then went back to boiling
extra every 5 min. I gathered that was all it was going to do and moved on.

I also noticed that Abyss had lost a lot more of the dark green
microbial mat than when I saw it at the end of June.

Percolating Spring actually had a bit of water back in it, but not much.

Collapsing Pool was green - the comparison photos from May - July 2010
are here: http://snowmoon.us/365/?p=792

I visited at the end of May and a few times in June and all of those
times, I could hear something splashing out behind what I've taken as
Thumb Geyser (the blue pool - is that right?) - or maybe the something
splashing is Thumb Geyser? But the steam was always too thick to
pinpoint it. In July, it was hot enough and I did get a photo with the
longer lens. Anyone know for sure what this is? The first photo shows
the location - just to the left out of the photo is Collapsing Pool.

Thanks for any help you can give. :)

Janet White
SnowMoon Photography
http://snowmoon.us