[Geysers] OFVC Logbook -- Please Read

GOSA Store gosastore at roadrunner.com
Tue Aug 10 19:48:13 PDT 2010

Jake,

Would text messages be able to upload directly to a viewable web page or would some interim programming be needed to, for example, batch process a set of entries?  Ultimately the processed data should be available for free downloading.  Perhaps a standard format for the input would be best to drive such a system, for example:

Giant (space) 1322 (space) 08.20.1989

Grand (space) 2120 (space) 09.10.2000 (space) T2Q (space) d11.5  [The last entry is an optional duration in decimal minutes.  Decimal minutes aren’t hard to calculate – 0.1 is 6 seconds, which is generally close enough even if rounded.  Other optional notation such as p6 for a Great Fountain pause could be included.]

All,

I’d like to clarify my statement by saying that we should continue to provide data to the Visitor Center.  An electronic repository that everyone including NPS can freely access could and should run in parallel to the current process.  IMO duplication is far better than not noting an event.  Multiple inputs for the same eruption are not a bad thing if the system is properly designed to handle that.  Of course, one is better than none but two or more reliable sources are a solid foundation for good journalism.

Udo Freund

GOSA Store

www.gosa.org