[Geysers] OFVC Logbook -- Please Read

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sat Aug 7 17:56:49 PDT 2010

A few years ago I dutifully went to the temp VC with the times of several
Giant Hot Periods I recorded at night.  I wrote them on a separate piece of
paper and handed them to a naturalist behind the counter (the VC was
basically empty).  I said although I'd been entering logbook entries for
decades I knew the protocols had changed.

The naturalist declined to put them in.  (He's not there any more).  He told
me that all he'd be doing all day was put in Giant hot period times in the
logbook.  This was when its HP's were about 2-3 hours apart.   I thought of
their charming obsession with Plume, shrugged, and left the VC.

I did tell others of the times, so assume they eventually got in the
logbook.  I don't hide any info or data, but will not go out of my way to
try and convince the VC to accept my data.

It's so weird, cuz I know several naturalists who wouldn't care at all about
the lists of approved names and just hand me the logbook.  My option is
pretty easy - I give specific data to some "official" gazers and be done
with it.

Paul Strasser

  _____