[Geysers] OFVC Logbook -- Please Read

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 6 20:10:29 PDT 2010

I'm not a representative of NPS, since I am no longer a volunteer for Yellowstone, but since my name has been associated with the logbook for many years, I feel I do need to respond to Scott's post.

Sometime in the early to mid-1990s NPS rangers decided to limit the number of people authorized to enter data into the logbook.  I objected at the time because I was afraid it would severely limit the amount of data submitted, which has been the case.  In any event, the list has been adjusted over the years, adding people who turned data in to so it could be entered into the logbook, and deleting people who no longer entered data into the logbook.  In the past, people not on the list could turn the information in at the Visitor Center desk and it would be placed in my mailbox.   Since my volunteer agreements for Yellowstone were not renewed by the Park Service this year, so that is no longer an option.

Although it was never one of my "duties" in any of my Yellowstone volunteer agreements, as one of the "privileged few" whose name was included on the list and because I am a "data junkie," I tried to gather data from other gazers and from posts on the listserv so the data could be entered into the logbook.  I entered data for all geysers, with very few exceptions.  It was my belief that even a single eruption provided information for future researchers indicating the geyser was active, even if there was not enough data to compute a series of intervals.

However, this summer I am not in the Park, so am not able to enter data into the logbook.  For a variety of reasons I will probably not be spending much time in Yellowstone in future years, so will not have the capability to enter data in the future either.

Sometime in July Mary Beth was allowed to copy the logbook for October 13, 2009 through May 8, 2010.  I have not been home to Cheney since mid-July and will not be able to get there until about August 20 to collect my mail.  Once I collect the copies, I will update the electronic version of the OFVC logbooks through May 8, 2010.

Lynn Stephens