[Geysers] Re; Victory geyser Tues 9-29-09

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 19:57:18 PDT 2009

Looks like this was my last day in the basin.  Unfortunately I headed
home early and missed F&M.

Victory geyser, however, continues to fascinate.  I walked up on a
0916 start, with Square spring, Culvert, and Persistent all full.
Victory was doing vigorous boiling with heavy overflow with fast
moving runoff.  Once the eruption started, I looked at the lower end
of the Riverside loop.  The recent "permanent" puddles on either side
of the paved loop were dried out.  The distinct "channel" made by the
runoff water from the trees to the edge of that path looked fresh.
Since runoff has not been reaching that path until after the end of
the eruption, I decided to return later.  Meanwhile I headed for
Daisy, finding that it had already erupted.   As I returned to
Victory, it was apparent from Grotto that the eruption had ended--no
steam on this cool morning.  The duration was something under 15
minutes.  The runoff was still flowing rapidly, but seemed to stop at
the 2nd little hollow in the live trees.  No sign of water at the
lower Riverside loop trail.

And it appears that 1 or more sheets of sinter have fallen into the
crater from under the rim.  The large flat plate in the bottom is new
since Sunday.  The once relatively perpendicular sides of the crater
now seem to reach back under the rim.  The water remains murky tan in
color.  Square/Culvert/ Persistent had drained with the Victory
eruption and were back in rise and fall refilling cycles.   I did not
get a closed interval on Victory.

Until next spring.....

Barbara Lasseter