[Geysers] Re: Road patterns at Old Faithful

phil.winkler at comcast.net phil.winkler at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 14:26:13 PDT 2009

I don't know where it says that the road was changed in 1969, but that source is  not correct. When I went to Yellowstone in June of 1971, I could and did drive the old road, past Castle, Riverside, Morning Glory, Artemisia, etc. When I went the next summer--twice, once with my dad and once with my sister's family-- the old road had been closed. My memory on this is quite precise for many reasons. I got out of the Army the previous November (1970), after coming back from Vietnam, bought my first car, went back to graduate school, and the June '71 trip was my first vacation trip alone. One day I parked my car by Artemisia, sat in the car,   read while I waited, and was rewarded with an eruption. I think i t was also on that trip that I first met Scott Bryan. That trip was the culmination of much planning and anticipation, when I spent 12 days in the Park, after two previous visits had both been short, one of less than 48 hours. After hearing about it over the years, m y kids all refer to this as "Your famous '71 trip, " generally said in unison and with a distinctive tone of voice. The old road was closed sometime between June of 1971 and summer 1972.

Phil Winkler