[Geysers] Forward From Janet Chapple

Gordon Bower taigabridge at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 13 21:13:46 PDT 2009

The only noticeable change in Giant's cone from the old photos that I am aware of is the one mentioned by David Schwarz: the approximately square-foot-sized chunk fell from the top of the north side between end of season 1997 and January 1998, with the fallen semi-shattered block still more or less intact on the platform between Giant and Mastiff in January.

My recollection is that Ann and Tom weren't aware of the chunk having fallen yet when I mentioned it to them on January 8th, so we assumed it was dislodged by the January 6th eruption - but the fallen rock was not moved by the January 10th eruption, so we backed off from the conclusion that it had just fallen. We were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't followed by many more chunks later in the season.

At the time, it seemed like as big of a deal as the rock at the top of Tower Fall falling. Odd how it's turned into an almost-forgotten incident.

GRB