[Geysers] Forward From Janet Chapple

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Sun Sep 13 19:35:32 PDT 2009

All,

The old photo's angle is a bit deceptive as it gives the appearance that the
cone is 1/2 full in the front, but the angle it is taken from is actually
showing the bottom of the bite "meshing" with the wall on the Catfish side.
If this was taken in the front the large opening we see today would be
visible.

Yes-there has been a lot of deterioration of the cone in the past 120
years-some no doubt by vandals, but the majority by eruptions.  The activity
that formed the cone long ago is not the same as the activity that is
breaking the cone down.  I have heard a lot of speculation as to what kind
of activity formed the cone and I personally lean towards it forming while
the platform was under a glacier some years ago, but that is my personal
belief.  I don't have the data from the late 1880's in front of me, but I
can tell you that in 1988 the highest point of the cone was 9' 10", today it
is 9' 6", and that there has been considerable erosion taking place behind
the cone and between Giant and Turtle.  In 1988, there was a solid sinter
peninsula leading to Turtle, and the area between Giant and Turtle was maybe
4 feet across. Today the only solid sinter between Giant and Turtle are the
respective cones of each, and the area between Giant and Turtle is easily 20
feet across.  These periods of dormancy followed by periods of eruptive
activity are eroding the sinter formation much like Fan and Mortar has done
to itself in the past 30 years.  It wouldn't surprise me one day if another
large chunk of the cone came off in an eruption like the "missing tooth" in
the upper right part of the cone we now have.

MK