[Geysers] Shoshone GB Report (Sep 25 09)

Jeff Cross Jeff.Cross at wallawalla.edu
Mon Oct 5 22:22:44 PDT 2009

What color was the crater of this spring?

If it was yellow with a vent at the uphill end, plus a noisy side vent active only prior to the eruption, then it was probably Frill.  If so, I suspect you saw a false start.  Full eruptions, though brief, are usually between 15 and 30 feet high.

Jeff Cross
jeff.cross at wallawalla.edu

___
I saw 2 geysers I had never seen before. But from previous reports
and Scott's book I think they were as follows.

Frill Spring(?): One eruption seen (15:10). The eruption started small at
about 1ft but emitted an amusing hissing/bubbling sound loud enough to be
noticeable from 20ft away. This went on for about 4-5 minutes. Then,
suddenly, the eruption got bigger to about 6-10ft which lasted about
5 seconds. Some bursting of water occurred (1ft) for about 2 more minutes.
This was in the general area of Frill Spring.