[Geysers] October 1 Geyser report

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 2 05:48:01 PDT 2009

Selected items from the OFVC logbook for 10/1

Addition 9/30 Beehive 2130vr

October 1:

Castle 0540E major

Daisy 0020E, 0241E, 0510E, 0752E (0751), 1026ie, 1303ie, 1531

Grand 0639ie (0640E), 1638ie T2C

Riverside 1003, 1626ie

Artemisia 1611ie

Aurum 1310

Beehive 1326 (Ind = 1313)

Grotto 1215vr  [Note--this is not a typo.]

Grotto Fountain 1128vr [Note--this is not a typo.]

Lion 0748 initial, 0927

Little Cub 0947ie

Oblong 1210vr

Plate 0826

Plume 0621, 0752, 0905, 1024, 1144, 1310

Rift 1454

Sawmill 0901

Victory 1120vr

Little Brother 1027 active

Great Fountain 1824 of=93, p=8

White Dome 1423, 1445, 1506, 1529, 1559, 1614, 1736, 1758, 1820, 1842

UNNG in Tangled Creek 1531, 1601, 1810, 1826, 1838

Bead 1208, 1232, 1256, 1321, 1345

Box Spring 1247, 1311, 1354

Labial 1328

Narcissus 1204ns d ~ 12 min, 1436ns

Pink Cone 1357 d = 103min

Fountain 1238 (end 1307), 1845ie

It was a cold, breezy day with gray skies and occasional tempests of frozen granules flying through the sky, but no accumulation on the ground.

Kitt Barger and Polly Panos arrived for a four day weekend today.  Jim Lassiter camepark into the park for a short trip, but when I told him Narcissus had just erupted, he decided to sit in the vehicle to keep warm while we talked for awhile.

Everything seemed to go on the long side of the windows today.  Great Fountain went outside the 24-hour roll-forward window by nearly 2 hours.  Grand went in the second half of the window with an almost 10 hour interval.  We didn't get the vr report for Beehive until Kitt had been waiting for several hours and I had already abandoned the upper basin for the lower basin.

Fountain, on the other hand, went on the early side of the window.  As we were driving out it was ie at 1845, but Kitt, Polly, and I were all warming up in our vehicles and wanted to get out to West Yellowstone before it was completely dark, so none of us stopped to walk up to watch it or even sit in the pullout to get the end time.

Kitt was in the lead giving us a running commentary on the wildlife--"elk on the right", "bison on the left", "person on the right."  I was really glad she had warned us about the fisherman walking toward us because he had on dark clothing and was really had to see.  At one point we were stopped for a big bull elk jam.  With only one or two vehicles in front of Kitt, we were nearly opposite the elk.  I rolled down the window to listen to the bugling.  Since elk roar with both their nostrils and mouth open, I can't be certain, so I don't know whether the steam from the breath expelled at the end of the bugle came from his nostrils or from his mouth, but I did get to see the thin stream of steam at the end of the roar.  I had seen pictures of this, but this is the first time I had ever been close enough to personally see it.

Visitor comments of the day--From a disappointed child looking at White Dome from Great Fountain "It's not exploding anymore.  And I didn't get a picture!"

>From an employee at the Delaware North Main Store--The Visitor Center told me this morning that all the geyser students had left.

    Hmmm--How to respond to that one?

Lynn Stephens