[Geysers] Photograph of Black Diamond eruption (Stephens)

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Wed May 27 18:30:43 PDT 2009

The photos are quite nice, but hydrothermal explosion?  I think not-the
photo looks like the eruptions of Black Diamond I saw in 2007 and
2008-muddy, filled with sinter, rocks, and lots of silt.  My impression each
time I have seen it is that there isn't much of a plumbing system/geyser
vent that the eruption is coming from.  Does that constitute a hydrothermal
explosion versus an eruption?  I would say this is an eruption, especially
since the area has a history of doing it in the past 3 years, plus other
events in the early 1910's, 1920's, 1930's, 1940's, and 1950's.  I would
even dare to speculate that the source of energy that drove Black
Diamond/Wall Pool in these years moved to Sapphire Pool after the 1959
earthquake and is just now returning back to the Black Diamond area.

Maybe I am wrong, but my impression/definition of a hydrothermal explosion
is an area that has a large explosion or one time event, not a history of
eruptive activity.

MK