[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin 3/12/09

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 20:49:48 PDT 2009

The prediction for Castle was for 10pm, which I thought odd when I saw it ie at 1320 (later I mentioned it to Steve at the VC, and he corrected the prediction, they'd had a visitor report in the morning).  I caught Plume from the Firehole River Bridge at 1321.  Little Cub was 1328 ie.  Grand was post-eruptive, so I headed down basin.

Riverside was in overflow by 1400.  There was no marker at Fan.  I'm not sure when one was last put there.  There was about an inch and a half of snow on top of the ice on the boardwalk from the last eruption.  Fan wasn't doing anything interesting, but I did clear off part of a bench, so that the sun will dry it out (and it was something to do while waiting for Riverside).

Neither Daisy or Riverside was predicted today, because of lack of data.  At 1442, I saw steam over the hill coming from Daisy.  Riverside started at 1446.  I had most of the eruption of Riverside to myself, even though I'd told a group of skiers, and a group of snowshoers that it would be erupting soon.

Throughout the basin, the bison were close to trails and boardwalks, including on the asphalt bike path by Round Spring Group, between the junction of Geyser Hill and Dome, and near Oblong bridge.

After reporting times to the Visitor Center, I caught Lion at 1604 ie.

Karen Low