[Geysers] April 09 Sput correction

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Mar 4 15:12:24 PST 2009

In receipt of the April 09 Sput (on March 4, for Udo's record -- and what?
you want me to pay... again?), I'm afraid another correction is necessary. In
this case, I'm sure this is correcting a typo, but nonetheless:

-- The lowest __official__ elevation is Death Valley is -282 feet (not the
-292 as given in the Sput, page 18)

-- Several people have reported obtaining GPS values of -289 feet out on  the
salt flat west of Badwater. This I find perfectly reasonable, given that
Death Valley is an active, evolving place and has, west-up versus east-down,
tilted by as much as 20 feet in less than 2,000 years. Nevertheless, the NPS
officially accepts -282, calling reports of -289 "popular misinformation."
    The -282 is from the USGS, and that survey was many  years ago.
Therefore......

-- I guess that table on page 18 also needs to move Salton Sea above  Vpadina
Akchanaya in the list.

Scott Bryan

P.S. Like the fact that the Spring 2009 issue of Sierra magazine notes
locations with geysers as prime candidates for geothermal power plants? Yes,
indeed.
steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)