[Geysers] Yellowstone June 28

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 29 03:53:39 PDT 2009

THIS POST IS FOR THE READING USE OF THE SUBSCRIBERS TO THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT

TO BE REPRODUCED. FORWARDED, OR PUBLISHED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, IN ANY PUBLICATION,

INCLUDING THE SPUT.

After learning that Fan & Mortar had not erupted overnight, I went to Great Fountain.  After watching for awhile to determine that the low water level was not a "crash", I moved to Flood so I could listen for radio calls of "Main Vent splashing."  While I was at Flood I timed one major to major interval.  The major to major interval was 1h14minutes, but the interval was "interrupted" by two intermediate eruptions with durations of just over a minute.

Great Fountain was in overflow when I returned.  It erupted at 0934 (p=3) with a superburst.  The superburst didn't dowse the parking lot, but the water droplets coming down from it did rain on the parking lot.  I replaced my windshield last November.  I have been very careful to drape an orange plastic tablecloth over the windshield whenever I am at Great Fountain, White Dome, or Pink Cone.  But this morning I wanted to leave Great Fountain as soon as I watched the first 3-4 mintues of the eruption and changed the prediction board, so I didn't cloak the windshield.  As the superburst is coming down, I am rushing to the pickup to grab a towel to start wiping off the windshield.

When I returned to the Upper Basin, Scott announced on the radio that they had been "enjoying" Angle Vent merrily splashing away all morning.  I went down for a shift from 1300-1500.  Angle Vent still hadn't gone to sleep.  The most fun I had was watching the mother merganser shepherding her 7 ducklings along the shoreline of the Firehole River.  Occassionally she would dive underwater, swim for a distance, apparently herding a fish toward the ducklings.

After my shift, I went to Atomizer.  After waiting 80+ mintues, Atomizer had a 70 second minor at 1622, followed by the major at 1630 (double interval 27h12minutes).

While Rocco and I were waiting for Atomizer, I walked a short distance away from my pack.  A man and his son, Luke, had come up to Artemisia and were eating a snack.  I think they might have waited for Atomizer.  But another visitor walking past mentioned I needed to check my pack because he had seen a small snake near it.  Luke was terrified of snakes and made his father take him away from Artemisia.

I watched Geyser Hill for awhile, recording some Little Cubs, Aurum, and Plume, then went home at 1900.

When I got up this morning (6/29) there was a much appreciated note on my windshield from Tara saying that Fan & Mortar had erupted at 0032.

Lynn Stephens