[Geysers] West Thumb 6-18-09

Jeff Cross Jeff.Cross at wallawalla.edu
Sat Jun 20 21:18:34 PDT 2009

Is the feature mentioned below (UNNG near Venting Pool) the same
one that was reported active in 2005?

Thanks,

Jeff Cross
crossj at whitman.edu

Quote from Janet's email:

<<I also stood next to the feature someone questioned awhile back that's
to the 'right' of Lakeside Spring (which also looked very murky and sent
up bubbles all across it) for about an hour.  I posted a 2006/2008
comparison in that blog post.  About every 5 minutes, the water rises in
the crater and splashes for 20 seconds or so - sometimes higher,
sometimes lower, but the splashes only reach up a few inches.  One
'fill' almost reached overflow and it had a good 1 foot or so splash.
It doesn't look like the crater changed any since last fall.  The clouds
and rain got me moving on my way rather than waiting any longer, but my
guess is that eventually it bubbles up a bit higher and overflows.>>