[Geysers] Fan and Mortar 12 June 2009

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 20:46:51 PDT 2009

Fan and Mortar was in eruption when I arrived there tonight at 2028. I was
able to see a steam cloud at 2020. It was quite far into the eruption. When
I arrived, it was at a pause, and when the geysers came back on, there was
little water output from East Vent. I am guessing the eruption started ~2000
or a few minutes thereafter. If only I had gotten off work a few minutes
sooner...

The only other observations I had from tonight was a Grotto Fountain start
at 2106 (d=16m) with Grotto following at 2117.

This morning was easily one of the best mornings I have ever had for geyser
gazing. I had a work meeting at 0730 which was done by 0745. I was already
awake so I went out into the geyser basin just after 0800. I walked up on
water in the indicator at Beehive, with the indicator starting at 0817.
While the Indicator was erupting, I saw Lion at 0821. Beehive erupted at
0829 with a great rainbow. I was then treated to Plume at 0832. Grand was
called at 0833, I got to see plenty of water over the treetops on the blue
sky horizon. I hustled over there and saw the last few minutes of the
eruption. I was able to see the Sputniks at 0844, and on the way down basin
Daisy at 0851. From there I saw Riverside at 0919. I walked back towards the
store since I worked at 1030, but it was not over yet. Oblong was pushing a
lot of water out so I sat down there for 2 minutes and heard and felt
excellent thumps for an Oblong eruption at 0936. On the way back towards the
hill, Castle began its major at 0951. THAT is how all days should begin!

-Ben Hoppe

--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in
me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who