[Geysers] Geysers that Erupt in Series

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Thu Jun 11 07:19:05 PDT 2009

I had similar thoughts regarding what is being referred to as a
"series".  Geysers are awash in undefined or vague terminology, some of
it purposefully.  Don't we just love all the gray areas?

One definition for the word series is "a group or number of similar or
related things arranged in a row" and "applies to a number of similar,
more or less related things following one another in time or place".
Since "similar" is part of this definition I'd like to exclude the word
series when describing eruptions that significantly differ, such as
majors vs. minors.  Other than coming out of the same hole I do not
consider them to be similar or we wouldn't apply the terms major or
minor to them.  Just my opinion.

Synonyms to series include set, string, chain, sequence, group,
progression, suite, array, and several others.  Since so many words
exist perhaps different types of eruption sequences deserve specific
"official" (hopefully non-interchangeable) terms.  Personally, I like
the words set, string, sequence and progression and would like to see
them used instead of the word series for differing eruption types.  I
prefer a more scholarly person than myself to make the choices.

I offer a few things to consider.
1) Eruptions wherein durations are shorter than the pause between two or
more bursts.
2) Eruptions wherein durations are longer than the pause between two or
more bursts.
3) Eruptions wherein pauses or durations progressively lengthen or
shorten (two types).
4) Eruptions wherein pauses and durations progress inversely (two
opposing types?).

Maybe this is all too complicated and we should just foggettabouttit.

Thanks,
Udo Freund
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes us a little
longer, but performing magic is best left to professional magicians.

I will be on vacation 6/19 - 6/29