[Geysers] crummy weather

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Mon Jun 8 21:16:22 PDT 2009

Rumor has it that it is supposed to get warm here.  We're still waiting.
Highs in the 60s this week, and rain showers.  I want to restain the deck,
but have to get 2 days straight without rain..

Speaking of rain showers, yesterday was very muggy early, and about noon or
so I went outside and heard almost a constant drumming of thunder, like from
all around us and way up high in the clouds.  It was never really loud, but
with "Chicago drops" of rain and weird wind I thought it was going to turn
nasty.  (weird wind:  Imagine looking out the front door and the clouds are
zipping fast to the north, then go look out the back door and the clouds are
zipping to the south.)

About ten minutes later the weather service issued a tornado warning for
about 12 miles NE of here - imagine a tornado in Redwood City. that sort of
thing.  It was moving away from us - one good reason to live close to the
foothills is that storms take a bit more distance to get organized into
tornados.  But this was about the closest a tornado has been to us. And the
cloud that produced it was nothing special, although it was big and grey and
the low clouds in the distance were moving quickly, but overall it sure
didn't look like one of those clouds the stormchasers see an F3 emerge from.
Just another rainy, gray cloud.

The whole afternoon there were tornados to the east of us, and tonight
northeast of Greeley also.

And tomorrow and Wednesday are supposed to be the really lousy weather.

Yeah, June is wet here, but we also expect some warmth as well.  Here's how
cool/damp it is:  A lot of lawns in the neighborhood have "fairy rings" -
rings of mushrooms, like we live in Arcata.

Other than that, things are OK.  Linda had a cough for a couple of weeks
that never got better or any worse.  We took her to the doctor and she has
bronchitis AND an ear infection.  On drugs now (expensive drugs!) but I've
only seen about a 50% improvement - we might go back there later in the
week.

It's odd with Kevin in the Pomona band and Linda on staff there this summer.
Fortunately their paths don't overlap all that much.

Later

Paul