[Geysers] Re: Data loggers and eruption extraction... and models

Ralph Taylor ralpht at fuse.net
Mon Jun 8 18:03:37 PDT 2009

Most of the temperature readings are at 8-bit resolution to allow for more
data to be stored; this gives about half a degree Celsius resolution.
Accuracy is another matter--the sensors are calibrated initially, but as
time passes they degrade.  The high resolution mode is 12-bit and gives
better than 0.1 degree C resolution.

It is possible to see preplay for many geysers, and there are indeed
apparently periodic variations in temperature in many of the datasets.  I
have not done any Fourier analysis, but have become very interested in the
short temperature cycles that many geysers exhibit.  Daisy is a good
example, with cyclic rise and fall in water level and boiling intensity.
Oblong is another, and Grand is yet another.

There is a lot of data waiting to be analyzed!

Ralph Taylor