[Geysers] National Park quarters

Bruce Jensen bpnjensen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 07:21:51 PDT 2009

John Warnock's assertion is correct.  Yosemite Valley and the Mariposa Giant Sequoia Grove was deeded by the Federal Government to the State of CA in the early 1860's under Lincoln's administration to be kept by the State as a public "parkland".  The entire area (sans Valley) did not achieve national park status until 1890, however, and the Valley was added in the 1900's.

Despite its obvious glamour and popularity, since Yosemite has already been commemorated on the initial 50-state quarter release, it is somewhat likely that another park (Maybe Sequoia NP, the second NP, 1890, or another much later park) would be chosen for California instead.  We have quite a few...King's Canyon, Lassen Volcanic, Channel Islands, Redwood, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, and a bunch of NMs, historic sites, NRAs and Seashores that could be used.  Point Reyes NS would be a fine choice, IMHO.

Bruce Jensen
"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France