[Geysers] girl scout troop to visit geysers

Lisa R. Fisher lfisher at mines.edu
Sun Jul 26 17:00:19 PDT 2009

Hello all,

I may not be in the park often in these recent years, but I do still
enjoy the e-list geyser news. Thanks to all of you for your postings!

A local girl scout troop is headed your way this week (probably Tues
through Thurs). The girls (mostly 7th graders, troop leader Amy Ruby)
are interested in geology and science, and specifically requested a
trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone, and raised/earned money to go.
Through the Colorado Scientific Society, I and other geoscientists
gave a presentation to them about what they will see.

I, of course, gave them a section on how to see geysers! They are
excited about it, and I hope that whoever is out there in the basins
next week will watch for them and help them out. In the time allotted,
I just could not cover everything, especially the complexities of the
Grand Cycle and such. I told them about GOSA and the work that
volunteers do to study geysers, so they know about you. I did give
them the talk about safety and respect for the fragile thermal features.

I hope they will be able to catch a Beehive, Grand, and Great Fountain
- at the very least, and hopefully much more.

Thanks!
Lisa Fisher
(old married name Finiol for those of you who know me from the 80's and 90's)

--
Lisa R. Fisher
Colorado School of Mines
lfisher at mines.edu