[Geysers] Geyser Report 7/24

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 18:38:30 PDT 2009

All times, unless otherwise noted, are from Friday, July 24.

Today I was not around the Upper Basin much, but I still managed to
get a good amount of times for the day. Tara Cross led an expedition
of 5 people to Geyser Creek. I will leave the details to her whenever
she gets a chance to write them, as it was my first trip to the area,
and I know next to nothing about the features there. The trip itself
went quickly, I didn't time on the way out, but from the time we left
the Lower Basin of Geyser Creek and got back to Artist Paintpots, it
only took us 23 minutes. It was less than three hours from getting out
of the car to getting back into the car. The mosquitoes were bad in a
couple areas, but I got no bites from the day thanks to my heavy duty
Off! that is 98% deet.

Beehive erupted this morning at 0543 (Indicator 0525) for an interval
of 12h22m. The afternoon eruption was 1748 (Indicator 1731) for an
interval of 12h05m. There was quite a large crowd on the hill well
before the Indicator began.

Fountain erupted probably sometime between 0700-0800, followed by an
eruption at 1347 (d=33m). Morning's Thief was active, and very large.
I only saw the first bursts at 1347 that were 35+ feet to my
estimation.

Grotto was 0936ie, 1505
Lion 0428ie, 1109, 1233ie
Oblong 0858ie, 1533
Penta was reported as steam phase at 1055ie
Rocket had a major at 1102ie
Plate 1438
Castle 0915 (minor I believe)
Daisy 0728, 0938, 1152, 1406, 1611
Grand 1341 (T1C)
Riverside 1142
Plume 0819, 0920ie, 1020, 1513, 1603, 1658, 1750

Bob Barwin also saw Uncertain start at 1636.

A large number of people (gazers especially) found it satisfying to
get drenched in the rain shower provided by Beehive.

There is a nest of birds on the porch of the Yellowstone General
Stores Lower Store near the entrance to the gift shop. There are 4
growing birds in there that have just gotten their feathers in the
last week. It provided some entertainment watching them fight for the
best spot in the nest while we were waiting to walk up to Geyser Hill
this afternoon.

That's all for today. Again, tomorrow I work from 1:45-9:45 so I will
see what I can get for geyser times. My report might be a day late.

-Ben Hoppe

--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ
lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son