[Geysers] Geyser Report 7/21

Ben Hoppe ben.hoppe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 22:00:33 PDT 2009

All times, unless otherwise noted, are from Tuesday, July 21.

I was able to go out into the Basin for awhile tonight, and it was a
beautiful, cool night. The sunset was full of pinks, reds, and
oranges. Couldn't have asked for a much better night, that's for sure.
And just a quick note that I am adding, we are having a beautiful
aurora right now (thanks Stacey for calling in on the radio).

Beehive erupted at 0507 this morning after the 0450 Indicator
(i=12h34m), and again this afternoon at 1643 (Indicator 1626) for an
interval of 11h36m. My prediction of 1645, after hearing of the
morning's eruption, turned out to be pretty decent. But then again, I
think Beehive is easier to predict right now than Grand... which
erupted at 1122 and 2036.

Fan and Mortar has not yet erupted as of 2300. It is having event
cycles, but I would guess that it will erupt tomorrow between 0700 and
1500. That guess is based upon it's previous intervals, and also that
I work tomorrow from 0715-1515.

Grotto was in marathon all day today, being seen in eruption by Jim
this morning, I believe. The marathon ended sometime around 2000. I
got to see my first full-sized Spa eruption this evening at 2016. At
about 2035 there was a burst that was well over 25 feet, probably
close to 35.

Other times:
Artemesia 0933
Lion 1256 and a minor at 1420
Depression 0948ns
Oblong 1159, 1628ie, 2031
Plate 1418ns, 1749, 2103ie
Castle 1434 major
Daisy was anywhere between 2h and 2h15m today
Fountain 0840ie, 1448
Great Fountain 1447
Riverside 0940, 1610, 2207
Plume 0756, 0858, 1341, 1630, 1736, 1944
Aurum 1740
Sawmill 2109

Just a couple extra notes. Stacey and I were watching the water rise
and fall in Scissors Springs while Beehive's Indicator was erupting
this afternoon. It was really quite entertaining as the water almost
never pauses at one spot. It's a very quick rise and fall. The water
goes down multiple inches, and then just as quickly as it drops, it
rises back up and sometimes, but not all the time, it overflows
slightly out of each vent.

The other note that I have is Link had a series of 2 minors again
tonight. One around 2000, and the other around 2030 (time is based on
peak overflow, I note the time when it overflows from the extreme left
of the runoff channel very slightly). The first minor was larger than
others I have seen. It was impressive, and maybe I just haven't been
watching that much of minor eruptions, or maybe it was larger, but it
seemed like the boil was wider and a little higher than normal. Again,
just a note. Make of it what you will.

-Ben Hoppe

--
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ
lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son