[Geysers] Yellowstone July 12

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 12 17:24:17 PDT 2009

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL READING USE OF THE SUBSCRIBERS TO THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT

BE REPRODUCED, FORWARDED, OR PUBLISHED, EITHER IN WHOLE OR IN PART, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT

             It was another warm day today although the gray clouds have moved in late this afternoon.  The sky just started booming so we may get a thunderstorm here in the Upper Basin.  (A short while later--the thunderstorm moved through with high winds, flashing and grumbling sky, and a power outage so I am now in the process of typing this email for a second time.)

            I spent the first 4-1/2 hours this morning in the office typing, writing down calls for geysers as I heard them.
            Aurum was called at 6:56 and I saw it at 15:29 this afternoon after I returned from the Lower Basin.  Since Aurum is in "Summer Mode" I suspect this may be a closed interval.
            Nellie Daugherty reported Little Squirt was ie at 07:15.  It was still ie at 16:30.
            Castle had a minor eruption at 02:40 (electronic) and had a major eruption at 07:52.
            Dean L. called Artemisia at 08:58
            Grand was called for 0040ie, at 08:06, and again at 15:02 just as I returned to the Upper Basin.
            After my shoulders said “No more computer time,” I went to Black Sand Basin for 1-1/2 hours to time Cliff Geyser (one full pool to full pool interval of 43 minutes), then went to the Lower Basin.  Great Fountain wasn’t in overflow so I drove back to Flood Geyser to time it for awhile (one major to major interval of 65 minutes) and to listen for radio calls for either event cycles at Fan & Mortar or Beehive’s Indicator.  Neither of which happened before I had to return to Great Fountain.
           Jere B. reported Pink Cone ie at 11:38 and it was still ie when I drove past the first time at 12:01.
           When I returned to Great Fountain it was already in overflow.  Luckily my estimate was fairly accurate.  I called in a prediction of 2:15 p.m. plus/minus 15 minutes and Great Fountain erupted at 14:23.  Yesterday at Great Fountain and again today while we were waiting for the eruption, some of the staff from Madison were telling us about a report from the Law Enforcement officers last week.  A bus load of visitors had stopped at one of the Geyser Basins, carried some eggs over to a hot spring, and proceeded to boil them.  The LE report said, “The egg operation was stopped immediately.”
            After watching the first few minutes of a lovely white eruption against the blue sky, I changed the prediction board and returned to the Upper Basin.  Beehive had already erupted (01:56 with a 17 minute Indicator and 15:44 with I think a 20 minute Indicator, interval = 12h48m). Fan & Mortar apparently had an event cycle this morning, but I don't thing they've done anything interesting since then.
            Plume intervals this afternoon were 57 and 58 minutes.
            The purple flowers in the Lower Basin on the long stalks with no stems appear to be Siberian chives.
            As I drove from the DNBS parking lot to the office in the ranger station, I noticed the bison family (bull, cow, yearling and two calves) were still behind the Inn where they had been when I left this morning.  I also saw a deer in the meadow east of the Myriad Group between the parking lot behind the Inn and the outbound Old Faithful road.

Lynn Stephens