[Geysers] Yellowstone June 30 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 1 11:13:12 PDT 2009

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE SUBSCRIBERS TO THIS LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED,

FORWARDED, OR PUBLISHED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE OR IN ANY PUBLICATION, INCLUDING THE SPUT.

June 30

     The day was partly sunny, partly rainy, and a thunderstorm in the morning.  The pink sunrise painted the tops of the thunderheads pink and golden and a brilliant white.  Looking to the north during sunrise, Mount Holmes was painted with a pink sheet of rain against the dark black clouds from which lightning bolts were issuing.

     Overheard by Barbara Lasseter on Geyser hill yesterday, “I remember when this feature used to be called ‘Anthill.’  Now they call it Beehive.  It’s really grown!”  Barbara said the man sounded very serious.
    While people were waiting with me for Great Fountain this morning, Scott and Jere B were outside the vehicles doing what Suzanne called the “Mosquito Slap Dance” without any accompanying music.  The rain has allowed the mosquitoes to propagate exponentially.  Later a noisy bus was approaching just as Botryoidal Spring erupted, sending up a large steam cloud on the other side of the bus.  Overheard , by Barbara gain, “Oh, are they spraying for mosquitoes?”  Unfortunately, no.
     This morning I could hear Karl and Lori Hoppe approaching with their daughter Sienna (8 years old, I think), and Josiah, who turned 6 years old yesterday.  Josiah wears bear bells.  Yesterday evening Karl took him for a walk up White Creek.  Josiah proudly informed me that he “woke up a geyser” with his bear bells.  Botryoidal Spring erupts every 3-5 minutes.  Karl had him stamp his feet just at the right time for an eruption of Botryoidal.
     Great Fountain erupted this morning at 0900, and again this evening at 1920.  Neither eruption had a superburst.
     I spent some time watching the Pink Cone Group.  Narcissus was 541ie, 0900, 1144 (per Maureen), 1530ie, and 1746ie.
     Pink Cone erupted at 1043.
     Labial eruptions were 1258 and 1845, and Pink eruptions were 949ie (per Barbara) and 1720.
     While I was watching the features in the Pink Cone Group today, I watched a red tailed hawk circling over the area.  During the evening wait for Great Fountain I heard the sandhill cranes talking to each other.

Lynn Stephens