[Geysers] Mountian Bikes in Yellowstone : Commercially guided day trips

srlb at eskimo.com srlb at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 23 17:22:28 PST 2009

>   I know there is some sensitivity about bikes in the park, but I wanted
> to throw in one aspect that was not considered in the previous
> discussion.
>
>    I work as part of a local user group which is concerned with evolving
> use patterns at a small and environmentally fragile lake in our area.
> What has turned out to be the biggest problem at the lake is not so
> much overuse persa, but rather the growing proliferation of large
> groups of people arriving all at once in a big pack as a result of
> commercially guided day trips.  At this point in time our local Forest
> Service seems to have little concern over the impact of such large
> groups, either esthetically or environmentally, but I can tell you that
> from the standpoint of an "old-timer" with traditional environmental
> sensibilities and concerns, these groups are a real matter for worry
> when they show up.

Okay, I'll bite. Why are they (commercially guided groups) a "real matter
for worry"?

Would you prefer commercially unguided groups of the same size?

Would you prefer uncommercially guided groups of the same size?

Would you prefer uncommercially unguided groups of the same size?

Let's assume that a single individual has X impact on some particular
environment. Are you saying that 20 individuals have more then 20X impact?
If so, statistically, how much impact do they have? 100X? If so, why? And
please supply supporting scientifically gathered data.

>    As a result, any discussion of bikes in Yellowstone needs to take into
> consideration the added possibility of large commercially guided day
> trips.  Such outfits seem to be a growing phenomenon on public lands,
> and currently our local officials seem unwilling to put any limit on
> the number of such outfits, the number of people they can bring along
> in any one group, or the number groups they are allowed to bring into
> an area in any one day.

Is your problem with "commercially guided" groups, or with the size of the
groups? If it relates to the commercial aspect, what exactly is the
problem you see with them?

If it's just the fact that the such groups increase the number of
individuals visiting the area in question, what's wrong with a greater
degree of citizen participation?

Is your point, perhaps, that you want the visitation density limited so it
continues to be as enjoyable (to you) as it used to be for "old-timers"
like yourself?

Bob Berger
srlb at eskimo.com