[Geysers] Information Please (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 18:06:52 PST 2009

Thanks you for the response.  It appears I should have prefaced the request with information about the research I had already done prior to posting the question on the listserv.

Before posting the request on the listserv, I had already done as Tamsen suggested, searching the Yellowstone Research Library catalog through Wyoming State Library's online catalog, getting (probably the same) 49 responses for Marler.  Tamsen's response confirmed my reading of the list--Marler's annual reports did not appear on the list.  However, I know the Library had at least some of them during the late 1980s and 1990s when I used to visit it the Library/Archives in the basement of the Horace Albright Visitor Center.

I have also searched using the NPS search engine, getting access to items held throughout the National Park Service system, but none of them gave me the information I needed about Marler's Annual Reports.

I also searched the archives, or YNP Inventory for National Park Service Records, Natural and Social Science Series for items.  It appears that some of Marler's reports are probably in Box N-211 of Rick's papers (probarly 1961, 1962, 1964, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, and possibliy 1972.)  Box N-419 has some thermal records, dating back to 1953, but doesn't specify what the records are.

I haven't tried Marler's papers at BYU yet, and probably won't because it's highly unlikely I'll go there for on-site research.  I will be visiting HRC in late March so I'll just wait until I get there to see if anyone can locate Marler's Annual Reports of Thermal Activity.

In the meantime, I'll ask again--does anyone know when Marler started preparing his annual reports?  (I know they go back at least as far as 1948 and am trying to determine if they go back any farther.)

Lynn Stephens

Lynn Stephens

Subject: RE: [Geysers] Information Please (Stephens)Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:03:20 -0700From: THert at uwyo.eduTo: geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu; geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu

Greetings all,
I don't know if the Yellowstone Research Library has all of
Marler's Annual Reports.  However, anyone can search
the Yellowstone Research Library catalog through the
Wyoming State Library's online catalog:
http://wyld.state.wy.us/yrl/

There were 49 entries just searching Marler as an author
but I didn't see an annual report listed.  You can all
use this database access the collections there.  I just did
a quick search to see what came up.  Good luck!

Regards,

Tamsen Hert
Wyoming Bibliographer
University of Wyoming Libraries

From: Lynn Stephens [mailto:lstephens2006 at hotmail.com]Sent: Sat 1/17/2009 10:46 AMTo: geysers at lists.wallawalla.eduSubject: [Geysers] Information Please (Stephens)
Does anyone know when Marler first started preparing his Annual Reports of "Hot spring Activity in the Firehole Basins"? Some of these were published in Yellowstone Nature Notes.  Yellowstone Nature Notes ceased publication in the late 1950s and I have copies of most of the reports for the 1960's, but am interested in knowing when Marler started preparing the reports. Also, does anyone know whether the Yellowstone Library/Archives has a complete collection of Marler's Annual Reports?   Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Lynn Stephens