[Geysers] Kitt's Winter YNP trip (12/30/08 - 1/2/09)

barger bkbarger at bresnan.net
Sun Jan 4 16:19:26 PST 2009

Greetings to all!
     I have finally rested up from my winter trip to Yellowstone Park.  I drove to Mammoth in a blinding snowstorm on Monday (29th) and arrived in one piece on Tuesday (30th).  During my drive, I often encountered limited to zero visibility and the roads changed from dry to a mix of black ice and packed snow.  I slowed to a crawl and said many prayers and was glad to see the lights at Mammoth.
     During my ride to Old Faithful, I enjoyed the fact that someone else was driving.  After many storms in the area, the sun was finally out so that we could see the mountain peaks.  I arrived at Old Faithful around noon, checked in, and finally headed out into the basin.  I stopped to enjoy my first geyser, Old Faithful, at 1338.  The prediction board at the Visitor Center was almost empty, due to limited staff and bad weather with poor visibility.  I headed to Grand to check on it.  I slowly trudged down basin in my many layers, thankful for my trusty ski poles which helped me to identify the narrow path I needed to stay on so that I could remain vertical.  Turban was erupting as I paused at Castle to take a breather.  I carefully made my way past the very slippery Sawmill Area.  I waited for the next Turban and to my great joy Grand joined Turban's eruption.  I called out to a group of people that were admiring Sawmill, so that they might enjoy the big show, and then scrambled for my watch to get the time to call the Visitor Center.  It was 1428.10 (but due to my delay in checking the time Grand may have started at the end of the last minute).  The eruption was a T1Q (Turban first, 1 burst, Turban & Vent quit), but at least it was visible.  Castle was at 1456 ns, but it minored.  I walked to Geyser Hill to check out the boardwalks and Beehive.  (The bubblers and close to cone were were bubbling, but no eruption.)  At Plume, I waited for a visitor to ski by me.  He stopped to visit and Plume erupted at 1536.  I explained that it usually has 4 or 5 bursts.  As we continued to visit, I realized that we had passed the usual 4 to 5 bursts.  We both stopped talking, and continued to watch as Plume had either 7 or 8 very strong bursts (the kind that sounded like it might destroy itself).  Aurum erupted at 1541, so I chose not to walk that way.  I headed off the Hill and stopped at the Visitor Center.  Partially from my lack of sleep (since I drove all night) and partially from the extra effort it took to navigate the basin, I headed to the Geyser Grill for an early dinner.  While I was enjoying my Chili Cheese Fries, I heard a radio call about Riverside possibly erupting per the webcam.  (Yes, it was Fan and Mortar, and no, I didn't see it.)  My only consolation is that even if I had been out in the basin, I probably wouldn't have been at that end since darkness takes over the area by about 1730.  I slept the sleep of the dead and was ready to go by the next morning.
     New Year's Eve Day started off with no wind, and clear skies.  I missed the ease it takes to get to the basin in the summer.  In the winter, I have to walk from the front of the Geyser Grill, up the road to the Visitor Center path, and out to the boardwalk or paved path which is covered in an uneven layer of snow.  Even dressing is more difficult in the winter.  Thermals, fleece pants, ski pants, wool socks, snow boots, gators, 2 wool sweaters, fleece jacket, down coat, fleece neck tube, wool hat, hood, and finally gloves.  Many of my winter trips have involved temperatures in the sub zero level, so I spent my first half hour removing several unneeded outer layers and hooking them onto my little back pack (which is half the size of my summer one).  This trip I would find temperatures well above zero, although sometimes the wind chill might have been below zero.
     I stopped to visit with Carolyn in front of Old Faithful and we watched Grand erupt in the distance at 0836.  I had heard about the possible Fan and Mortar eruption from Thomas, so I headed that way to check out the area.  Due to a miscommunication though, I thought Fan & Mortar had erupted at about 12:30, while I was checking in at the Lodge.  (It wasn't until today that I realized it was while I was having my early dinner.)  I walked down the bike path with uneven steps as I made my way over snowy drifts.  Daisy erupted at 1020 (thanks to the 0809 near end time that Carolyn had given me) and I paused on the main path to enjoy it.  I continued on toward Fan and Mortar pausing to let the Visitor Center know that Riverside was not in overflow.  The bridge was covered in snow deep enough to discourage me from trying to get closer to the railing.  The boardwalk is very high when capped off with snow, making it tricky to climb up on for a better view of the area.  It is surprising to me how much snow can stay even though Fan and Mortar erupt.  Icicles hung from the front of the Spiteful area of the boardwalk, and the snow was covered with a crusty shell of ice.  A small triangle shaped patch on the dirt path was dry, but the rest of the area was covered in snow.  As I headed back, I noticed that Riverside was already in overflow at 1115 and called the Visitor Center to report it.  I went to look at Oblong and figured it was a good spot to watch for the next Daisy, Riverside, and possibly get an Oblong eruption.  Daisy erupted at 1244 and I just made it back to Riverside when it erupted at 1256.  I headed back to Oblong, with a delay on the snowpacked corner at Grotto while I waited for a visitor to make his way up the narrow path.  Instead of passing, he stopped to ask questions, which I answered, and then he finally headed for Riverside which was still erupting.  As I came through the trees, I saw a huge steam cloud at 1314 (which isn't unusual since almost everything makes a huge steam cloud) but this was Oblong erupting.  I hurried in all of my winter gear toward the geyser that wouldn't wait.  I heard the water crashing down, but no thumps greeted me and the wind which had appeared late in the morning pushed me around.  The sun which had so graciously kissed the snowy land was now hidden behind many layers of clouds.  After the eruption, I walked back to Grotto and then on to Castle.  I sat down on a bench to rest while I waited for Castle to erupt.  Snack bag in hand, I was enjoying the crunchy, salty goodness of the Chex Mix when a large puff of steam appeared on Geyser Hill from behind the trees near Castle.  Yikes!  I jumped up and hurried to where I could see Beehive's cone.  Yes!  Beehive Indicator was erupting.  I radioed in "Beehive Indicator at 1427 ie" and then after explaining to people around me what I was excited about and options for viewing the eruption, I decided to gather up my gear and hurry down the bike path to be closer to Beehive.  Several of us were trying to navigate the tricky footing with brief pauses when the wind gusts felt like they were going to blow us away.  We made it to the Pump House and used the sign as a buffer from the wind as we enjoyed the beautiful eruption of Beehive at 1435.  Old Faithful joined in at 1438.  (Note - I read the post that Beehive's eruption was short that day, but it was taller than in the picture and the winds that afternoon were awful!  My guess is the gusts were in the 35 to 45 mph range or maybe even higher.)  After enjoying the eruption (which I didn't figure I would get to see that day, since Beehive was quiet and the bubblers were off that morning), we made our way back to Castle.  Snacking forgotten, I headed over to Crested Pool to watch for the next Daisy (which I now think must have erupted while we were walking back).  I kept glancing at Castle which was predicted for 3:30 PM.  I noticed Uncertain was ie at 1538 and Aurum popped up in my peripheral view at 1557.  At 1605, with still no Daisy, I felt I had pushed my luck to far and headed to the benches for a safer(dryer) veiwing of the pending Castle eruption.  At 1610, Castle erupted and then I realized that Grand had started.  Grand 1615 ns (_1Q) with the wind pushing the steam this way and that.  A man next to me asked how long it would erupt and when I answered him, he sprinted toward Grand like it was summer.  I enjoyed the roar as Castle switched to steam and then as darkness started to work its way into the basin, I headed in for dinner.  After an evening of book reading and snacking, I called home to wish my family an early "Happy New Year".  I decided to try to catch the last Old Faithful eruption for 2008.  During my trek back to the Lodge, I had noticed that the Visitor Center had a posted the next Old Faithful for 5:44 PM, so I multiplied longs and hurried to get all of my winter gear back on at 11:25 PM.  I made my way to Old Faithful and arrived with 2 minutes to spare.  Old Faithful erupted at 2348 (a long).  There was a fairly big crowd that wished each other Happy New Year, and then most of us headed back toward the Lodge.  I climbed to the third floor and had rid myself of most of my winter gear, when I realized that there was only one hour left until the next eruption.  I estimated how long it would take to get ready again and arrived at Old Faithful in plenty of time.  Two people waited quietly on a bench under a cloudy sky with puffy snowflakes flitting around.  Several times I glanced back at the path expecting more people to arrive, but none appeared.  The three of us enjoyed the 0114 eruption with the dark cloudy sky as a back drop for the whiter Old Faithful.  After the eruption the two headed for their snowmobile and I made my way back to the Lodge (which was much quieter now).
     Happy New Year!  I was hurrying toward Old Faithful, when Carolyn radioed that Beehive's Indicator was ie.  I radioed back and hurried even faster toward the Overlook path.  Beehive at 0834.  Carolyn and I enjoyed the eruption and then she headed in while I went to check on Grand.  Turban erupted at 0913 and 0930.  At 0946, seven swans flew directly overhead about 100' up.  They were gently calling to each other as they headed toward Old Faithful.  Turban erupted again at 0949 and 1009.  At 1028, Grand erupted for a G2Q!  West Triplet erupted at 1031, and a Plume was radioed at 1041.  I was glad that I had seen both Beehive and Grand, but the snow was falling heavily, visibility was limited, so I headed in for one more Old Faithful at 1213 before calling it a day.  I took a nap and then went downstairs to enjoy the lounge chairs by the fire.  The snow and wind were starting to take their toll.  Tomorrow was Friday, Jan. 2nd, and I would be heading home.  During the night, the wind could be heard attacking the Lodge.
     Its Friday!  I pack up and then head out to the basin one last time.  A Lion is radioed at 0812 ie, but I have no intention of going onto Geyser Hill.  The wind from last night had continued and snow pelted the air.  I watched a 3 minute Lion at 0924 as I headed toward Grand.  Old Faithful erupted at 0936 (a short) and Little Squirt was ie at 0939.  Beehive was very quiet, so I figured I wouldn't see it.  I arrived at Castle after searching for the path that the wind had covered up.  Rift was ie at 1003.  I continued on toward Grand, passing a silent Sawmill.  I found refuge from the wind and snow near Rift's shade trees.  I used my ski poles to brace my body as the wind gusted, trying to shove me off of the snowpacked boardwalk.  Daisy showed up grey on white at 1027ns.  Turban erupted at 1010ie, 1028, and 1048.  At 3 minutes in I realized that Grand's pool was recovering fast!  Grand at 1051 with Rift still in eruption.  It was a T2*Q!  I enjoyed the eruption and then faced into the wind and driving snow with may hood and face mask leaving me a small slit to peer through.  The snow sounded like hail on my coat and every so often a piece would breach my enclosed face.  The tracks I had made earlier had disappeared, so my poles once again helped me find the narrow path of hard packed snow.  I looked back from Crested Pool as I took in the basin one more time before making my way to Old Faithful to down load.  I watched the 1217 Old Faithful after the bison herd walked in single file in front of the geyser as they made their way toward the cabins and probably Pipeline Meadows.  The return trip to Mammoth was snowy and gray.  I left Mammoth at 7 PM headed for home.  This time no blinding snow storms blocked my view and the roads were a little better, but it was still very late when I arrived home.
     In the winter, little things like swans flying overhead or happening upon an erupting geyser make a trip.  The snow forces a person to slow down.  This year they have fewer staff to run the Visitor Center, answer people's questions, and to cover the basin.  I just want to say THANK YOU to the staff at the Visitor Center for all you help.  It can be very lonely out in the basin when there's no one else using radios and at times I was the only person out in the basin.  My winter trips make me appreciate my summer visits all the more.  Take care and Happy New Year.  Kitt Barger