[Geysers] Upper Geyser Basin, 2/12/09

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 14:52:44 PST 2009

Daisy was ie at 1135.  Grand was several inches below overflow, so I didn't stick around there.

At Fan and Mortar, the marker was gone, icicles were hanging off the boardwalk by Spiteful, and snow was crusty.  Since we actually got a little bit of snow yesterday afternoon, I'd guess since then.

The snowmobile pulling the groomer has been going off trail on the Riverside loop, between Spa and Marathon Pool.  There is a spot where the asphalt of the trail is too warm for snow, so they've been crossing over the trail bumper log, often chewing pieces off of it, over by the Danger: Thermal Area sign, and grooming the gravel on that side before crossing back over the log to where there is snow on the asphalt.  I've mentioned to ski shop and Snowlodge location management, that this is not a good thing to be doing, but it still is happening.

Karen Low